ClassDojo is a classroom management app that helps teachers build positive classroom culture and communicate with parents. It allows teachers to give students real-time feedback on their behavior, track their progress, and share photos and videos from the classroom with parents.
ClassDojo was founded in 2011 by Sam Chaudhary and Liam Don, two former teachers who wanted to create a more positive and effective way to manage their classrooms. The app has since grown to be used by over 100 million teachers, students, and parents in over 180 countries.
ClassDojo offers a variety of features to help teachers manage their classrooms and communicate with parents, including:
- Behavior tracking: Teachers can give students real-time feedback on their behavior using positive and negative points. Points can be customized to reflect the teacher's specific classroom rules and expectations.
- Progress tracking: Teachers can track student progress on specific skills or goals. This data can be used to develop personalized learning plans and identify areas where students need additional support.
- Parent communication: Teachers can share photos, videos, and messages with parents to keep them updated on their child's progress and behavior. Parents can also use the app to send messages to teachers and schedule conferences.
- Student portfolios: Teachers can create digital portfolios for each student to showcase their work and progress. Portfolios can be shared with parents and other teachers.
In recent years, ClassDojo has added a number of new features and updates to its app, including:
- ClassDojo Plus: ClassDojo Plus is a premium subscription service that offers teachers additional features, such as the ability to create custom reports, set behavior goals, and use the app in offline mode.
- Dojo Islands: Dojo Islands is a new gaming feature that allows students to earn rewards for their positive behavior. Students can use their rewards to purchase virtual items and customize their own island.
- Family Connect: Family Connect is a new feature that allows teachers to share photos, videos, and messages with specific family members, such as grandparents and aunts/uncles.
ClassDojo offers a number of benefits for teachers, students, and parents, including:
- Improved classroom behavior: ClassDojo can help teachers improve classroom behavior by providing students with immediate feedback and positive reinforcement.
- Increased parent engagement: ClassDojo helps teachers communicate with parents more effectively and keep them updated on their child's progress.
- Personalized learning: ClassDojo can be used to track student progress and develop personalized learning plans.
- Easy to use: ClassDojo is a user-friendly app that can be used by teachers, students, and parents of all ages.
While ClassDojo offers a number of benefits, there are also a few potential drawbacks to consider, including:
- Privacy concerns: Some parents and educators have raised concerns about the privacy of student data collected by ClassDojo. The company has taken steps to address these concerns, such as implementing stricter data security measures and giving parents control over their child's data.
- Screen time: ClassDojo can be a valuable tool for teachers and parents, but it's important to be mindful of how much screen time students are getting. It's important to set limits on screen time and encourage students to engage in other activities outside of the app.
- Gamification of behavior: Some educators have criticized ClassDojo for gamifying student behavior. They argue that this can lead to students being motivated by rewards rather than by a genuine desire to learn.
ClassDojo is a popular classroom management app that offers a variety of features to help teachers improve classroom behavior, communicate with parents, and track student progress. While there are a few potential drawbacks to consider, such as privacy concerns and screen time, ClassDojo can be a valuable tool for teachers, students, and parents when used responsibly.